martes, 1 de diciembre de 2009

The biggest dining room

One of the most incredible things in Golden Temple is that daily they offer food to everybody who want to eat there. Obviously it isn't a fish cod in sauce neither grilled mutton but it´s a plate with some rice, lentils soup, some vegetables and chapati, that is the daily food in India. In the huge dining room people sit down on the floor, in long lines, having a spoon and a tray. Tens of volunteers distribute the food in buckets all the time. It's not easy to tell about the number of people who have lunch or dinner there every day. My guide book talks that is around forty thousand but here some people have told me that is between seventy and eighty thousand people. All the day, hundreds of volunteers cut and peel tons of different vegetables, wash thousands of trays, cook in huge casseroles and distribute food, water and tea. I can assure you that they have a perfect organisation. Maybe some of you are asking who is paying all the food. All is paid with the donations that believers make to the Temple.

Is not easy to describe the feeling I feel there. Neither any of the pictures can show faithfully the atmosphere you can experience there. I go almost every day. I really like going there. Moreover the food is quite good. But in my opinion it's not only an easy and cheap way to eat but for me is like a comunion. To be there, sourrounded with thousands of Indians sharing the same food, is for me like to share the Sikh and Indian soul. And I think it must be the most similar to the first Christian comunities, as they are described in the Gospel: all the Christians lived like brothers, sharing their goods and eating the same meal.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario