martes, 15 de diciembre de 2009

Funny temple

I visited the funniest Hindu temple I've ever seen. It's called Mata Temple and it's dedicated to Lal Devi, a woman saint who wore glasses. Inside, visitors and pilgrims must walk in a circuit with lots of passages and tunnels, some of them narrow, some of them dark and in some of them you must walk through water. There were a lot of gods everywhere and also bells that pilgrims were ringing all the time.

In a corner of the main hall of the Temple there was a guru laying on some pillows, surrounded with dozens of people, especially women, who adored him, massaging his feet and touching him with reverence. He, in return, blessed the people and gave them some sweets. I also approached him but when he saw me, he made me sit down beside him, on the pillows. For a long time he was showing me some postures of yoga and talking to me in a very energetic way about some subjects that I couldn't understand at all. He also gave me some tea and food. He sent me on my way with a hug, a photograph and a blessing.
On my way home I went to the station just to check the trains schedule. There, a couple of policemen sitting in a corner called me. What's the matter now, I wondered. When I reached them, they greeted me with reverence and touched my feet as a sign of respect. I'm still asking myself why. Maybe it was because of the garlands of flowers that the guru had put on me. Anyway, India doesn't stop to surprise you. Every simple day you can get any funny surprise just walking down the street.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario